Anyone who loves Star Wars knows that one of the best adrenaline rushes fans can get are from behind the scenes photos and footage of the next upcoming film or TV show. Not only does this help put them in perspective and what we can look forward to, but it shows us why we love Star Wars so much.
As of last night, Vanity Fair’s Joanna Robinson started the early teasing of today’s big Star Wars news:
Luckily, after this epic tease, fans didn’t have to wait much longer for the big reveal of exclusive photos and behind the scenes footage of The Rise of Skywalker.
According to a tradition of more than 20 years, world-accredited photographer Annie Leibovitz traveled to a galaxy far, far away in the valley of Wadi Rum to get exclusive photos and footage of the filming of The Rise of Skywalker:
Doesn’t this just leave you with that Star Wars ‘high’? Well, there’s more. As some of you may have noticed, we finally were able to see Richard E. Grant’s new exciting character, Allegiant General Pryde next to Domnhall Gleeson’s, General Hux. Accordingly, you might have noticed two more new characters- Keri Russell’s masked scoundrel, Zorri Bliss, and Naomi Ackie’s, Jannah.
However, some of you may be wondering where Matt Smith’s character is. Rumors have been swirling that Abrams won’t be revealing his character quite yet due to his possible plot-spoiling role. Jason Ward from MakingStarWars.net was able to confirm Matt’s presence in the film:
Another source of some helpful information was given to us through Reddit user u/MurderousPaper who kindly compiled all the new information that was revealed through Variety’s cover story:
- The desert planet filmed at Wadi Rum is called Pasaana. The natives are known as the Aki-Aki.
- The Knights of Ren will have scenes on Pasaana.
- The snow planet is called Kijimi (sidenote: I wonder if this is another sly reference to Hideo Kojima? For those of you who don’t know, the sandworm in TFA also says “Kojima” when BB-8 rolls past). Kijimi houses a locale known as the Thieves’ Quarter which is where we will meet Keri Russell’s character Zorri Bliss.
- Richard E. Grant will play a First Order officer named Allegiant General Pryde.
- At some point in the film, C-3PO says the words “common emblem.” Anthony Daniels had trouble remembering this phrase similar to how Boyega had trouble remembering “biohexacrypt” in TLJ
- The mounted creatures that John and Naomi were seen riding in leaked pictures are called orbaks.
- Billie Lourd as Lieutenant Connix is confirmed to share screentime with Leia, including exchanged dialogue and touch.
- Not hard to guess, but Driver confirmed that the Force bond between Kylo and Rey will “run even deeper than previously revealed.”
Additional information and explanations of this upcoming film were also released through an exclusive Vanity Fair Magazine interview with the cover story writer Lev Grossman:
With all of these new exciting photos, footage and information flooding our force-sensitive bodies, I find it only fitting to end you with this thought-provoking tease:
After this exciting onslaught of new photos, footage and information, what intrigues you the most? Any questions? Start the discussion by clicking on the link to our Discourse forum below or by checking out our forum by selecting “forum” via the menu bar up top.